Thousands have their say on NT concessions

More than four thousand Territorians have already had their say on how to improve the Northern Territory Pensioner and Carer Concession Scheme.

 

The consultation on the scheme is closing this Thursday, 31 August 2017.

 

Minister for Territory Families Dale Wakefield said Government listened to early feedback from the community which is why all aspects of the scheme are up for discussion.

 

“The current scheme is expensive to manage and unfair to many.

 

“This is not about making cuts. In fact, our Government has invested $2.1 million more into the scheme this year. We want to create a scheme that is fairer, more flexible and that can suit a range of different circumstances.”

 

Feedback so far has been mixed, with many respondents suggesting that a cap to power and water is an appropriate response to the high concessions claimed.

 

Minister Wakefield said no changes would be made until all feedback from the consultation is received.

 

“The only thing that has been decided is that everyone 65 years or older who were excluded under the CLP will now be included,” Ms Wakefield said.

 

“If anyone says that government has already made up its mind, it simply isn’t true.

 

“I urge everyone to have their say so that we can create a better, fairer scheme for all Territorians.”

 

Public consultation closes Thursday 31 August 2017. There are many ways to provide feedback:

  • Visit your nearest electorate office or Territory Families office
  • Go online to www.haveyoursay.nt.gov.au
  • Phone 1800 777 704
  • Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

 

29 August 2017.